Title: Head of Technical Solutions
Contract Type: 12 month Fixed Term Contract
Location: Ashford - William Harvey Hospital - TN24 0LZ
Salary/Package: up to. £55,000 + on call allowance
Closing Date: 30/10/2020
2gether Support Solutions is a new, wholly owned subsidiary of one of the largest NHS Foundation Trusts in the UK, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust (EKHUFT). The Trust established the company so that core facilities and support services can continue to be operated successfully with the added benefits that a private sector culture and approach can bring to enhancing and developing these services. The company remains 100% publicly owned, with the Trust as the only shareholder.
At 2gether Support Solutions we put customer service and quality at the heart of all that we do. We have strong social enterprise principles and the profits we make go back into supporting our staff, improving services for patients and other community activities in east Kent.
We are looking for a proven individual from a senior estates background (Head of Estates, Estates manager or similar) to come and join us at the William Harvey Hospital as our new Head of Technical Solutions.
The successful candidate for this role will have a wide and varied position that focusses on ensuring that the high statutory, mandatory and HTM regulations standards that have been set are delivered to as well as driving positive change and leading by example to galvanise your inherited team of mechanical and electrical engineering staff.
As the organisation looks to grow and invest, it’s a hugely exciting time to be joining as we undertake and plan for large scale hospital site projects that our Technical Solutions team will be an integral part of.
The chosen candidate ideally will come from a healthcare sector estates background where you will have experience leading large scale teams as you will take on circa thirty staff here on site who are responsible for maintenance, repairs, projects and lifecycle planning.
Your responsibilities will extend beyond the hands-on traditional estate’s maintenance as the senior figure head and chosen expert for your site by actively participating in leadership discussions in proposing and implementing solutions for 2Gether support solutions, the Trust and clinical customers.
Naturally, you will also be able to evidence your experience in budget and cost management planning, specification writing, procurement, reporting, help desk management and extensive customer liaison/communication in your previous positions.
We are interested in candidates from all sectors although NHS experience is a bonus or a Hard FM background where you have driven change, lead teams and can effectively manage in a fast past and ever-changing environment.
As a collective and tightly knit team, responsibility for on call callouts is shared and managed via a rota to support outside of normal working hours incidents and emergencies.
A full UK drivers license is essential for this role as you will also be required to occasionally visit our other close by sites.
• Feeding in to production of and implementing 2gether Support Solutions policies, relating to statutory, mandatory and HTM regulations for the Technical Solutions directorate.
• Advising and reporting to the Director of Technical Solutions and the Board on Technical Solutions matters and improvement issues, to include longer term planning and finance.
• Overseeing managers to ensure that Planned Preventative Maintenance is scheduled according to regulatory requirements and completed accordingly, with all remedial actions undertaken to ensure continued compliance. Devising and implementing reporting procedures to maintain an oversight of the current compliance position and implementing audits to verify statistics. Give assurance to Directors/Board on compliance.
• Overseeing the management of repairs and projects to ensure these are effectively managed and completed by the team, in line with regulation and legislation. Devising and implementing reporting procedures to maintain an oversight of the current position and implementing audits to verify statistics. Give assurance to Directors/Board on compliance.
• Manage, oversee and report on KPI and SLA compliance, detailing actions required and seeing these actions through to resolution.
• Giving assurance to the Director of Technical Solutions and Board of appropriate management of the estate and assets in line with best practice and in accordance with both mandatory and legal requirements including Department of Health Policy Manuals, Health Technical Memorandums (HTMs), Statutory Building Regulations, Water Bylaws, HSE Approved Code of Practice L8 and the Code of Practice for the NHS on the prevention and control of healthcare associated infections and related guidance.
• A full understanding of the HTM suite, with particular focus to HTM’s 02, 03 and 06
• Managing all issues related to staffing, resources, discipline and the efficiency of the Technical Solutions Department service. This shall include managing productivity, sickness, attendance and compliance with the relevant policies, processes and procedures.
• Formulate Estate condition data and the preparation of long-term strategic plans for the sites which may have wider impacts.
• Take part in a On Call Manager’s rota for emergency issues.
• Analyse and interpret complex problems and compare a range of options balancing cost, risk and effectiveness.
• Drive change to make the department as effective and efficient as possible, aligning with the needs of both 2Gether Support Solutions and the Trust.
• Budget setting and monitoring expenditure across Technical Solutions services including energy budgets, manpower budgets and asset management across a number of sites.
• Ensuring compliance with Health & Safety and Department of Health guidelines at all times.
• Use computer software to produce reports, documents and drawings and take responsibility for the operation of various information systems at department level. Ensure effective implementation of the CAFM system.
• Ensure satisfactory development and operation of the Building Management System.
• Ensure compliance with Standing Orders, Standing Financial Instructions and 2Gether Support Solutions Tendering/Contract Procedures.
• Encourage and develop within the Department a culture of excellent professional customer service.
• Good problem-solving skills with a mechanical and electrical aptitude – an Electrical bias is welcomed although not critical.
• Ability to influence and negotiate with senior stakeholders is critical.
• The Ability to work closely with customers/ clients and contractors within a complex environment, demonstrating results that fulfil the business requirements
• Excellent written and oral communication skills – presenting technical issues to a wide non-technical audience
• High level computer skills in CAD, BMS and PPM systems
• Customer Focused
• Authorised to operate and manage electrical systems, piped medical gases, water systems, ventilation systems, steam boilers and electrical power generation with sufficient knowledge and experience to be appointed an Approved Person for certain disciplines
• Excellent knowledge of Healthcare guidance HTM’s, HBN’s and other industry specific guidance notes is critical.
• Excellent knowledge of building regulations and project management, to include asbestos, water management, COSHH
• Significant experience in a mechanical and electrical environment, preferably within the NHS and experience years at management level. Alternative relevant sector experience is also welcomed.
• Professional knowledge acquired through a degree or equivalent, preferably within a mechanical or electrical engineering discipline, plus specialist knowledge acquired through post-graduate courses or specialist courses.
• Membership of a recognised Building Services institute. IHEEM or other preferable.
• Recognised training to approved person status for: High & Low Voltage services, Piped Medical Gases, Legionella.
• Management qualification or training
• The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• The chosen candidate will be degree or equivalent qualified in a relevant discipline, such as engineering or other such similar disciplines.
• A thorough understanding of the legal framework within which a limited company operates, and a comprehensive knowledge of current data protection legislation.
• Experience within a risk management role, a strong knowledge of risk management strategies and policy development, and a proven ability to provide sound advice to colleagues regarding effective risk management practices.
• Excellent organisational, planning and time-management skills.
• Prior line management experience. This position will inherit a team of circa 30 people.
• Experience working with and producing reports for Board-level executives.
• Excellent Numeracy skills and demonstrable experience of managing restrictive budgets effectively
• Computer literacy and the ability to multitask – demonstrable experience of the production of statistical reports and the effective management of the results
Why work for us?
We offer a range of excellent benefits including:
• The opportunity to buy or sell up to 10 days annual leave each year
• Training and Development opportunities
• Career progression
• Discount in selected high street retailers
• Onsite childcare facilities (QEQM, WHH, KCH)
• Cycle to work Scheme
• Heavily Discounted Stagecoach Travel Cards
2gether Support Solutions is an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion / belief, sexual orientation or age.
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we are able to appoint to the vacancy before the advertised closed date.
Please note your application will be processed through our applicant tracking system (TRAC).
We endeavour to respond to all applications within two working days of the vacancy closing date.