4 or 5 days per week, permanent post, Tonbridge - based
An exciting opportunity for a dynamic, capable, Teacher with SEN experience (ideally as SENco) with a passion for empowering learners who have unrecognised potential. (Please do not apply for this role if you do not have SEN experience)
You will relish the challenge of leading a small, talented team of YMCA tutors & mentors.
In this vital role, you will deliver contracted education for SEND 16 plus learners and help secure new business from other schools / authorities for vulnerable or excluded learner’s age 14-25 who would flourish in our bespoke SEND/AC/AP curriculum. Our focuses on using construction & practical qualifications to engage, equip & empower learners with skills for life, work and learning – in line with DofE Preparing for Adulthood.
Salary iro £30,000 - £35,000 Depending on Experience [+ pension + health]
Purposes of Post
• Manage, direct and lead the Training & Education team (primarily construction-skills based Horizon Project).
• Manage and support staff, volunteers, external agencies, trainees, within agreed budgets and KPIs, to maximise impact, achievements and learner outcomes.
• Coordinate referrals and manage relationships with referrers. Manage required learners administration and relationship with learner next of kin/guardians.
• Strongly role model safeguarding, personal responsibility, teamwork, collaboration, reflective practice, equality, diversity, integrity, positive working relationships (internal & external), effective communication, empowerment, trust, respect, kindness and delegation.
• Be a pro-active member of the Senior Management Team and working-groups; including working to continuously improve standards & trauma-informed practice, maintain accreditation.
• In conjunction with lead tutor and internal / external verifiers ensure YMCA retains outstanding quality assurance for qualifications (current and new). Coordinate audits, inspections, visits, contract compliance, reports to funders / commissioners and funding bids / contract tenders.
• Lead on Ofsted preparation and readiness; and relationships with commissioners, DfE and ESFA.
• Employed by YMCA West Kent.
• Accountable to the Head of Operations; and to the CEO for safeguarding matters.
• Ultimately accountable to SMT colleagues and Board Members
• Manage YMCA Training & Education including construction-based learning, functional skills (literacy, numeracy and ICT), personal & social development, careers IAG, Duke of Edinburgh awards and other Study Programme / Traineeship programmes, alternative curriculum/provision customer service and other practical skills / wellbeing programmes – retail skills, furniture upcycling, bike maintenance, access to counselling, supported housing, youth work.
• In conjunction with the lead tutor, manage staff, volunteers & clients to ensure best practice, the highest standards and impact within constraints [legal, contract, budget].
• Improve links with referral agencies (internal & external) & families providing regular feedback.
• Ensure all trainees have initial interviews, induction, risk assessments, settling in and baseline assessments and reviews.
• Actively consult all trainees, to understand their needs, aspirations and barriers to learning, and to respond appropriately – using collaboration, co-design, co-development and regular reviews.
• Oversee learner journey: personal & social development, vocational & functional skills, address issues, updating individualised learning plans/EHCPs in consultation with other agencies.
• Work closely with referral & partner agencies, to ensure maximum development and progression of trainees; including ongoing support and engagement of alumni.
• Develop and oversee record keeping and write progress reports as required by partners, funders. This includes group, community work, special events, capturing feedback and media coverage.
• Introduce more rigorous assessment processes to baseline and monitor progression against the DfE PfA framework for SEND learners. This is likely to be ABAS – reviewing adaptive behaviours.
• Lead and develop supervision, support, mentoring and continuing professional development for all staff and volunteers including induction, appraisals, staff meetings, sharing best practice.
• Develop appropriate volunteer roles to support or mentor trainees or staff, and to develop new services, social enterprise, events, projects or marketing our work.
• Develop appropriate opportunities for trainees and staff to volunteer within other YMCA projects and the wider community.
• Ensure move-on and follow-up support and progress tracking of previous trainees for at least two years after leaving; and more generic alumni support and mutual support.
• Support and advice for other members of the SMT for accredited YMCA training and education.
• Network with agencies to gain new business, learner progression and promote the YMCA.
• Coordinate all potential funding, PR/Media and marketing activities in advance with Head Office to avoid duplication.
• Manage all income and expenditure in consultation with Head of Operations.
• Manage all health & safety [for staff, volunteers, clients, visitors, activities, events, vehicles and premises] in consultation with Head of
• Manage staff & volunteer leave, contracts, health, probation, training and appraisals in consultation with Head Office.
• Carry out any other tasks, commensurate with the purposes of the post, on the direction of the Head of Operations.
NOTE – This post is subject to enhanced DBS, written references, qualification checks and a youth panel before working with children, young people and vulnerable adults.
· Knowledge and experience of working with young people with SEN/EHCP – ideally with appropriate teaching qualification or SEN / SENCo experience for learners aged 14-25.
· Ability and experience to prepare for Ofsted inspection / visits.
· Ability to set high standards and clear boundaries
· Effective ability and skills to delegate and empower staff and volunteers
· Clear understanding of safeguarding principles, and best practice
· Excellent people management skills to manage staff, volunteers, learners, families and agencies
· Sound financial management skills
· Effective ability and skills to manage Health & Safety as applied to staff, volunteers, clients, visitors, activities, events, vehicles and premises
· Effective collaboration and team working skills at all levels
· Outstanding interpersonal skills - effective communicator with managers, staff, volunteers, trainees and other agencies
· Effective ability and skills to engage, motivate and empower trainees who may be significantly disengaged, vulnerable or excluded – using a trauma-informed approach
· Clear understanding of issues affecting young people: substance misuse, family breakdown, homelessness, mental health, learning or physical disabilities, abuse, neglect, CSE, CCE
· Demonstrable ability to ensure that staff facilitate individualised learning and progression and support for challenging trainees to overcome barriers to learning
· Demonstrable ability and skills to ensure that staff support, mentor and develop young people
· Experience of managing personal development programmes
· Experience of recruiting, supporting, training and managing staff and volunteers
· Car driver with access to transport
· Innovator, proven experience & skills as a "self-starter" who can think & work ‘outside the box’
· Fully support the inclusive, person-centred Christian ethos of YMCA West Kent.
· Excellent ambassador for the YMCA and all YMCA client groups
· Excellent role model
· IT skills for Microsoft Office / Open Office
· Qualified teacher – secondary and/or PCET
· Educated to degree level in a relevant field
· DTTLS or similar
· Experience of working in a one to one setting (personal advisor, youth work, social work)
· Functional skills tutor experience or qualifications
· Careers advice qualifications or experience of Gatsby Career Benchmarks for colleges / SEND
· Counselling skills / active listening experience or qualifications
· Pastoral support experience or qualifications
· Mentoring or Coaching experience or qualifications
· Supervision experience or qualifications
· Assessor/Verifier qualifications or other Quality Assurance experience or qualifications
· Experience of employing and/or supporting apprentices
· Health & Safety experience or qualifications
· First aid, MHFA and suicide prevention experience or qualifications
· Minibus driving experience or qualifications, clean driving licence, 5 years driving experience
· Experience as a volunteer.
For full Job Description and Application Pack please contact HR on 01892 542209 or email [email protected] or see www.WestKentYMCA.org.uk