The Virtual School is looking for a Deputy Headteacher for Looked After Children
Deputy Headteacher for Looked After Children (LAC)
Level 10 £44,632 - £47,555
Southend Virtual School
Southend Virtual School fulfils the statutory functions of the Local Authority in promoting the education of Looked After Children (LAC). The Virtual School aims to improve educational outcomes and accelerate progress to raise the attainment and achievements of LAC through appropriate educational placements and providing them with best life opportunities.
The Virtual School is responsible for the distribution, management and ensuring the maximum impact of the Pupil Premium Plus Grant (PPPG) to support and challenge the needs of Looked After Children of Southend Borough Council.
Your New Role
To work strategically with schools to ensure that they fulfil their statutory duties and provide high quality support and challenge for Southend Looked After Children and those previously Looked After Children (PLAC). Work will involve tracking and monitoring progress, identifying trends or assessing pupil and stakeholder needs. The post-holder will be accountable for the quality and professionalism of service delivery, and for contributing to the Virtual School continuous improvement; the development and delivery of service plans, performance and practice reports; Key Performance Indicators (including PEP completion, PEP compliance, attendance, persistent absence, reducing fixed term exclusions, progress and attainment data), as well as good practice tools and resources for other professionals.
What You Need to Succeed
* Degree + PGCE or equivalent
* QTS and evidence of continued professional development
* Substantial mainstream or specialist school teaching experience
* Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the National Curriculum. SEN Code of Practice and other relevant legislation.
* Demonstrates an understanding of the complex difficulties facing Looked After Children, their carers and birth parents and families.
* Demonstrates an understanding of the conflicting pressures on school and Local Authority in seeking to promote the attainment of children looked after
What You Get In Return
* Excellent opportunities for career progression * A supportive and open environment * A lower cost of living than London, while Southend is only 50 minutes from the City * Being part of a culturally rich, diverse town * Up to £8,000 to support with relocation costs subject to eligibility
What You Need to Do Now
If you're interested in this role, forward an up-to-date copy of your CV to Dion Mills, or call Dion Mills at Hays on 01273 721579. If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position with Southend-On-Sea Borough Council, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Closing date: 9am 29th March 2019
Interviews: 3rd April 2019
Southend-on-Sea Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. All applicants for this role will require an enhanced DBS check.
The Council is an equal opportunities employer. They welcome applications, regardless of race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, age or religion or belief. All applications will be considered solely on merit.